
<img src='https://news.cgtn.com/news/2025-09-12/Poland-rejects-Trump-s-claim-on-alleged-Russian-drone-incursions-1GBZReJB46k/img/f4c766ac01914e0eb15635648d782ac0/f4c766ac01914e0eb15635648d782ac0.png' alt='U.S. President Donald Trump boards Air Force One in Maryland, U.S., September 11, 2025. /VCG'
Poland rejected on Friday a suggestion made by U.S. President Donald Trump that the alleged Russian drone incursions into its airspace could have been a mistake, a rare contradiction of the U.S. president from one of Washington’s closest European allies.
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk responded on X: “We would also wish that the drone attack on Poland was a mistake. But it wasn’t. And we know it.”
Trump on Thursday said that the alleged incursion into Poland’s airspace “could have been a mistake,” while expressing frustration with the incident.
His remarks so far stand in contrast to the strong statements from European leaders, some of whom accused Russia of carrying out a deliberate drone incursion to test the readiness of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
Russia has rejected the accusation made by Poland, the EU, and NATO that it launched the drones. The Russian Defense Ministry said that none of its strike targets were in Poland, while Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the EU and NATO “accuse Russia of provocations on a daily basis” without evidence.
The Polish military shot down drones over Poland after its airspace was repeatedly violated overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday, according to a statement from the Polish Armed Forces Operational Command.
Tusk had invoked Article 4 of the North Atlantic Treaty, seeking consultations with NATO allies over a threat to national security.
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said on Wednesday that NATO will continue to closely monitor the situation in the east, with its air defense systems kept on standby.
(With input from agencies)

Leave a Reply